Sunday, November 23, 2008

Concerts, Plays and Other Events

This last week and a half we have had a bunch of cultural events to attend. I like going to plays and concerts so have loved every minute. I'm sorry I have no pictures to document them. But here are my mini -reviews.

To start off with a week ago Friday, we attended the play "It's a Wonderful Life" at LeeAnn's School - Heritage Academy. This was a stage rendition of the famous movie. It followed the story fairly closely although they replace Clarence the angel with Clara, and no dance floor opening up into a swimming pool. (ahh) Each of the actors and actresses did a great job with their characters. We were delighted to see our 5 yr old niece, Angelique S., play the part of Zuzu Bailey. She said her lines very clearly, and of course that touching phrase at the end , "Look, Daddy a bell rang. Teacher says every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings!" I must confess, I got a little teary then.

We next went to the same school's Choir Concert on Tuesday night. I tell you this school has a lot of talented kids. They sang with such clear harmony and volume. Heritage Academy had three groups of singers, the Women's choir, the Men's choir, and the Select Choir. Our niece Shannon J. was in the Women's Choir and they sang songs of love. The Men's group although young, sang with gusto songs of adventure. The select choir sang songs from the Baroque era, many of them they sang acappella. There were a few featured soloists that totally amazed me with their voices. I was feeling tingly on my arms it sounded so good. This concert was extra special because it was the last concert for the choir director, Mrs. Campbell, as she is retiring to stay home and have a baby (in December.) They sang their best for her! I heard another parent (my cousin) say it was probably the best concert he had ever heard at Heritage.

Wednesday night was Evening in Excellence hosted by the Young Women. I forgot to bring my camera there (the only place of all these events where a camera was allowed). We as parents were served a nice dinner and then watched our daughters perform in a talent show. Each class performed a skit and also the girls displayed projects they had worked on for Personal Progress. LeeAnn wrote the skit for her Mia Maids class and was so funny. Bethany and the Beehives were fun to watch too. The leaders pulled off synronized swimming on stage.

On Thursday we went to Heritage's Dance Concert held in the Mesa Arts Center. The concert was titled "After Neverland" and all the many dances performed were telling the story of Peter Pan. LeeAnn is taking Ballroom Dance this year and performed two numbers with her group. Shannon also performed several times with the Dance I group. Two of my favorite pieces of the evening were "Mermaid Vanity" and "Aware of the Crocodiles." They all did a great job. It made me think if Michelle, her love of dancing, and the many performances she made.

So there you have it. We enjoy getting cultured, and don't do it nearly often enough. I just may go to Heritage's Orchestra Concert on Tuesday night (even though we don't have any kids or relatives in it.) We'll see what comes next.

No comments: